This post has been migrated from www.experimentsincode.com, we apologise if some of the images or content is missing

This post has been migrated, original date 14 Jan 2009. Some content maybe missing. Noticed a weird thing when I tried to use Visual Studio 2008 to edit some scala. First of I created a solution containing a C# class library. Yeh I know this won't compile but I am just using Visual Studio to edit the files and manage the files. So I have my solution like so: So I went to add a file, so I right clicked on the project and select Add New Item and selected Text File: So I wrote some simple code and tried to compile it (using the command prompt) and got this error: So I tried again but this time going through the file menu to create the file, and again select Text File: I entered the same code and ran it again and this time it worked: So I thought there must be something weird going on with the encoding,  but when I checked both were UTF-8. So I check the file size, and strangly there is a 3 byte difference, the first file was 129 bytes and the second file is 126 bytes. I do not know enough about file formats to shed any light on what is causing this, so for now I will just be using the file menu method to add files to my project. Maybe someone who knows more about these things could shed some light on this.
comments powered by Disqus